Tuesday 21 June 2011

Do you know her?

I was browsing through some of the photos uploaded by Tiger Lim in Flickr the other night and I came across a very familiar looking elderly woman (see below). At a closer look of the photo, I remember who she is. I don't know her name but people used to, or still calling her the "$1.00 lady".

I grew up in Seria town and I remember seeing her begging for money almost every time I had my $1.50 kolomee at the popular mee stall. The thing is she would only ask for $1.00. Nothing more than that even if you want to give her extra. I don't know much about her background but after more than 20 years, she is still carrying on with her daily "routine".

This photo touches me in a way. It makes me realise how lucky we are to be where and who we are now . Life is full of ups and downs and there are times when you feel like the world is going against you but one thing I know for sure, every obstacle in life is a learning path that leads us to a better place and we grow smarter and stronger from there.

Photo courtesy of Tiger Lim

2 comments:

  1. I wish there are many Bruneians like you especially the new generation. Cheers. Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Adam for your comment. Cheers mate!!

    ReplyDelete